Biola University Athletic Fields exist primarily for collegiate, curricular, and co-curricular use by Biola students, faculty, and staff. Use of fields by non-Biola groups will be permitted within reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions, established to ensure that the fields can be sufficiently maintained to support their primary purpose of supporting official Biola use.
For the purpose of this policy, field users will be defined in the following ways:
- Affiliated group—Biola students, faculty, and staff using fields for official Biola use or recreational use
- Sponsored group—a non-Biola group that is sponsored by a Biola employee or department
- Non-affiliated group—a non-Biola group without a Biola sponsor
Fields governed by this policy include:
- Synthetic turf field—synthetic turf soccer field located above parking structure
- All-weather track—track located above parking structure
- South campus soccer field—natural turf field located on north end of south campus
- South campus “middle” field—natural turf field located just north of the softball field
Affiliated groups may request group use of any fields by contacting Campus Coordination via email or by calling (562) 944-0351, ext. 5816.(Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
Sponsored groups and non-affiliated groups may request use of fields by contacting Conference Services via email or by calling (562) 906-4510. (Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) Reservation requests from sponsored or non-affiliated groups will be approved on a first-come, first-served basis.
Groups using these facilities must carry a reservation voucher at all times and are expected to present this voucher to Campus Safety personnel, should it be requested.
Casual use of fields by students, faculty, and staff is on a first-come, first-served basis, provided the following conditions are met:
- The field is not reserved for a scheduled activity. Casual users of any field must yield to any group with a confirmed reservation voucher.
- At least 90% of the casual users are Biola students, faculty, or staff.
- Proper footwear and equipment are being used.
- Weather conditions permit such use without damage to the field (e.g. natural turf fields should not be used when they are wet from recent rain).
- Casual use does not include structured team practice or competition, which should be scheduled through the Office of Campus Coordination. Casual use does not permit use of these facilities to support community club or league practice or competitions unless this is scheduled through the Office of Campus Coordination.
Group use of the synthetic turf field and all-weather track is limited to affiliated groups and sponsored groups. Groups using these facilities must carry a reservation voucher at all times and are expected to present this voucher to Campus Safety personnel, should it be requested. The following rules apply to the synthetic turf field and all-weather track:
- No food, drink, sunflower seeds, or gum allowed on the field or track surfaces (water is allowed)
- No glass bottles or containers
- No pets
- No bikes, scooters, skateboards, roller-blades, or roller-skates
- No cars or trucks (including emergency vehicles)
- No paint or markings on field or track surfaces
- No tobacco products, fireworks, or open flames
The all-weather track is available for recreational community use provided there is not a scheduled event on the synthetic turf field or the all-weather track. During such events, the track will be closed to all recreational users.
Natural turf fields are available for group use by affiliated, sponsored and non-affiliated groups. Groups using these facilities must carry a reservation voucher at all times and are expected to present this voucher to Campus Safety personnel, should it be requested.
Wet weather conditions may force the cancellation of activities on all natural turf fields. In these cases, “Field Closed” signs will be posted on affected fields. To inquire as to when closed fields will be reopened for use, please contact the Campus Coordinator via email or by calling (562) 944-0351, ext. 5816.
All students, faculty, and staff are required to carry their Biola University ID at all times while using Biola fields and are expected to present their IDs to Campus Safety personnel, should it be requested. Unauthorized use of fields may result in Campus Safety terminating the activity.
Music/noise must be kept at a reasonable volume. If the volume exceeds a “reasonable” level, as determined by Campus Safety personnel, the event will be immediately cancelled.
All field users are expected to comply with the policies set forth in the “Biola University Undergraduate Handbook & Guide to University Policies.” Failure to do so may result in termination of the activity and cancellation of all future activity. For more information on Biola policies, visit the Biola website at https://studenthub.biola.edu/undergraduate-student-handbook.