International Business Travel Section 3.7 • Dept: Risk Management • Revised: April 1st, 2015
Biola University employees traveling internationally for business are advised to take the following security precautions:
- Register your travel with the U.S. Embassy in your destination country. If an emergency occurs there, the U.S. Embassy will know to contact you.
- Visit the U.S. Department of State’s Web site at http://travel.state.gov and look up your destination country’s Consular Information Sheet. Check for whether your destination country is on either the Travel Warning List or the Public Announcement List. Travel to countries on either of these lists should be discussed with your immediate supervisor and with the Risk Management department.
- Make sure that you are aware of your destination country’s health issues and take every precaution for them. For example, if there are water sanitation issues in the country, be prepared to purchase bottled water. Also, make sure you receive the proper vaccinations based on the destination country and be aware of how your health insurance provider covers you when you are abroad.
- Follow the tips listed on the U.S. Department of State’s Web site regarding safety precautions. Please see “A Safe Trip Abroad,” at http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1747.html .
- Please let your department’s administrative assistant know about your trip (i.e. countries, dates, and number of employees traveling). That information will be requested of them annually for insurance purposes.